Monday, December 8, 2008

Message received, loud and clear

A few nights ago, Carter and I were going through our usual nighttime routine and curling up in his bed with a book. His latest books of choice have been the I Spy books. I can honestly say that I was mildly entertained for the first few consecutive nights of reading these books. (that was back in September/October). A few months later, and I'm a bit tired of them now. But I digress...(as usual)

We finished our book and he crawled under the covers and said "uh oh, I think I wet the bed." I pulled the sheets back and sure enough, there was a smallish wet spot in the middle of his bed. After taking a quick inventory of the situation, I realized that he was not the culprit, but in fact, one of the cats had defaced his bedsheets. I had noticed while we were in the bathroom that their litter box was a mess, so I said "well, it looks like one of the cats was sending me a message. They want me to clean out their litter box." We stripped the bed, cleaned it up, threw his soiled sheets in the wash and settled back down for bed. Just then, Dave got home and went in to tuck Carter in and talk about his day. I walked by a few minutes later just in time to hear Carter telling Dave, "Daddy, the cats sent me a message." Dave: "oh yeah, what message was that?" Carter: "I have no idea." I laughed and stepped in, trying to explain.

Flash forward to yesterday (today, I guess, technically)

It was 1 AM and I was still awake and reading in my room, when Carter pops his head in, rubbing his eyes, and whimpering every so slightly. "Mommy, I had an accident." I took my wet, groggy little boy to his bathroom and began helping him get cleaned up. All of the sudden, he starts to giggle. The giggle slowly evolves into a full-blown belly laugh. Remember, it's 1:00 in the morning. I'm thinking he must be delirious. So I ask him, what's so funny???

"I must have sent myself a message!!!" He falls on the floor laughing.

Oh my.

My little comedian.

1 comment:

Betsy Eves @JavaCupcake said...

hahahaha

that's great. the things our kids say.

ps.... just wait till your lil ones are older. i make emily scoop the poop. i never have to do it!!!!!