I've sunk to a new low. I'll admit it.
In my attempts to teach Bella a little empathy and break her of this hitting streak, I have been tried many different things.
I have tried being stern, but she usually just parrots me and then breaks into a fit of giggles.
She's even tried to put me in time out a couple of times.
So, yeah. I was desperate. It has been getting to the point where I was hesitant to take the kids on play dates because she always ended up making the other kids cry. Finally I took my cue from her.
One day I was getting after her for one thing or another and she started doing this mock pouting thing. It was almost effective, even. I thought, ok, two can play at this game.
Later that day, I told her to put her toys away and she turned to me and screamed "no no, Mommy! Shoo" and then she gave me "the hand" and started swatting at me. I stuck out my bottom lip and pretended to cry. I knew it was a lame move, but somehow it worked. She came running over and threw her arms around my neck and said "it's ok, Mommy." This was progress. The word sorry is still not present in her vernacular, but the sentiment is there.
Later on, there was a similar situation and I pulled out the pouty face again. This time, she ran over and patted me comfortingly on the shoulder and said "Mommy, I'm two."
Is that an apology or an excuse? Not sure if that's a step forward or back...
Wish me luck. I'll need it.
FREE Mothers Day Questionnaire Printables
4 months ago

1 comment:
Giiiiiirrrrrllll, I feel you!
Lauren is the exact same way and has been driving me nuts. She's just not a kid who feels the need to "be nice". We've read books, done roll playing. What ever it takes!
Post a Comment