Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The perfect weekend

Sunday morning rolled around and Dave and I were off on a weekend adventure. We dropped the little ones off at the grandparents' house and headed off toward the coast for the Murnita wedding. I wish I had pictures to share because it was a beautiful and amazing wedding, but someone forgot the camera. And by "someone," I mean me.

Oops.

We drove down (and then up) to the Lake Quinault Lodge, where we checked in and went for a short hike in the rainforest. Later, we came back and got cleaned up for the wedding, which was held in the front lobby of the lodge itself, in front of the blazing fireplace. It really was absolutely amazing.

We probably had our first glass of wine at 5:00 just as the wedding was starting (it was very laid back and casual) and at 11:30 that night, realized we really hadn't stopped with the wine for 6 and a half hours. We figured that was a good stopping point :)

The next morning, after probably the best breakfast I've ever eaten (sweet potato pancakes with hazelnut butter, a full pot of coffee, lots of water, and a couple of tylenol...)we woke up and drove farther north up the coast, stopping at the ocean, where we scoped out a site for our next family vacation. We probably walked for a good hour or so up and down the beach, collecting shells, rocks and sand dollars to bring back to the kids.

Then it was onward north again to the town of Forks. (warning, nerd alert:) I had read the Twilight books last summer and although I had been to the town of Forks where they take place several times as a kid, I couldn't resist the temptation to go back and see the town from a new point of view. I remember telling my third grade teacher when I was on my way to visit some family friends in Forks (this was possibly my last visit until now) and she had told me that Forks was the type of town where if you blink, you'll miss it. That pretty accurately sums it up.

We stopped the car and visited a couple of Twilight themed gift shops, laughed at the carloads of giddy teenage girls that were pulling in behind us, had lunch at a greasy spoon type diner and were back on our way. I've been there. Now I feel absolutely no need to go back.

On the way back, we drove Hwy 101 the rest of the way through Pt. Angeles and on down the interior coast. During the drive, we ran into snow, fog, rain and finally intense sunshine turning into a beautiful sunset. We stopped to pick up the kids and were back home again.

It was an absolutely perfect weekend.