Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Zen and the Art of Tricycle Maintenance, or The Philosophical Musings of a Five Year Old

Last weekend, the kids and I went to Seattle and as I'm attempting to parallel park, (quite expertly, I might add...) Carter asks me earnestly, "Mommy, is this our destiny?"

Ummm...how do you answer that? So I ask him, "What do you mean by destiny?" (way to stall, Mommy...)

He sighs, clearly exasperated by my ignorance.

"You know. Your destiny. That's where the flag is."

My head is spinning. The flag? Think, think think...

And then, I hear it. Almost like it was spoken by God himself. As I'm finishing my final maneuver, squeezing my mid-sized SUV between a huge truck and a teeny tiny scooter (did I mention how expertly I did this yet?) My GPS rings out Ding! You have arrived at your destination. The signature checkered flag shows on the screen to let me know I made it to where I was going without getting lost.

"Honey, do you mean destination?"

"That's what I said. Destiny."

"Then yes, this is our destiny."

I can be so slow sometimes...

1 comment:

Christine said...

Could you plug my destiny into that thing and let me know when I'm there?

Also, could you teach me how to parallel park?

Thanks!