McDonald's is forcing me to question my faith in humanity.
We took the kids there today after a doctor's appointment. It was a shrewd move, I know. Your kids are upset because they just got shots? Why not give them the gift of childhood obesity to calm their nerves? That'll clear up their clean bill of health in no time. But I digress...
We sit at a table inside the play area, which is PACKED. Kids are running around like maniacs, screaming. Parents are having casual conversation, completely ignoring their kids. At one point, I look up and there is a little boy (probably 2-3 yrs old) cracking up laughing as he is pushing someone else's baby around in a high chair. I'm sure that's what the wheels on the high chair were intended for, right? He was running full-kilter around the play toy, ramming the high chair into various objects and people. The baby was laughing, but all I could think is am I the only one seeing this??? Why aren't there two sets of parents jumping up to stop this inevitable train wreck??? And the kid just kept picking up speed. Finally, I see one parent, apparently the mom of the boy doing the pushing, look up and smile and say "not too fast now."
Seriously?
Next thing I know, the lady next to me starts SCREAMING at her kid. Now, I'm not perfect. I've lost my temper on many occasions when pushed hard enough. And I only have two kids. This woman had at least four. But this was exceeding the bounds of decency. I was already on edge, so I looked up without even thinking and then quickly looked away without making eye contact, instantly recognizing that this was not the right move. I could tell that she had seen my reaction though. The lady started screaming even louder at her kid(s), "Now look what you've done! That lady over there is giving me dirty looks like I'm some kind of trailer trash or something!"
Amazing. Although kind of funny that one would jump to that conclusion. Sounds kind of like a guilty conscience to me.
It kind of made me almost wish I had gotten a dirty look in. I don't know why I even go to McDonald's any more. I just walk out feeling dirty. And guilty. And maybe even a little bit angry.
From now on, I'm only going to eat at Burger King. (Just kidding).
FREE Mothers Day Questionnaire Printables
4 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment